Intent

This blog is intended as a resource for those people who have been touched by ovarian cancer

Saturday 19 October 2019

Lessons learned



Ovarian cancer survivor: 4 lessons I learned from treatment
“I believe staying positive is just as important as the drugs that are administered. Except for the days on which I had chemotherapy infusions, I worked the entire time. I didn’t discuss my treatment. I didn’t want the fact that I had cancer to be the first thing people focused on when they saw or talked to me.

I had to be OK with letting others help me. I was taken aback by how many people stepped up. Having others share in this experience helped me to heal mentally and emotionally. Allowing others to assist me helped them cope with the situation, too, since my diagnosis had been so sudden and shocking.

Cancer treatment side effects are real. I had terrible chemo brain and exhaustion during my ovarian cancer treatment. It was incredibly frustrating, especially when I was working, because it felt like everything I did took twice as long.

I’ve always been a positive person, but since finishing my treatment, I’ve really tried to take everything in stride. Life can change in an instant, so I’ve learned to say “yes” to more things and step out of my comfort zone more often, don’t let cancer define you. It’s a bad thing that has happened to you, but it’s not you”.

Angela Hernandez

No comments:

Post a Comment